Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"T" is for Things I Learned from my Parents

Things Dad told: Don't do a halfway job. Look people in the eye and use a firm handshake. Do an honest day's work. Be respectful to adults, even if you don't feel like it. Treat your mother with respect. Return the car keys to me, not to an undisclosed location.  Use the right tool for the job. When I'm under the car and ask for a tool, put it in my hand.  Valvoline is better than Pennzoil.  A midnight curfew means you're home at midnight.

Things Dad showed:  Men's hair should be combed, as should their sons.' Hit the nail straight. Do not lie, cheat or steal. Have a good work ethic. Be dependable. Be the best at what you do and make yourself indispensable to your employer. Do what you say you'll do.  Punctuality is respect for others. If your nation calls, answer. Good grooming is a given. Take care of your mother-in-law. Be true to yourself. Pulling weeds develops sons' character so start using Roundup only after your live-in gardeners have moved out.

Things Mom told: Go Dodgers! Your little brother only copies you because he loves you. Nobody didn't love your grandfather. Your grandmother was a good athlete, an excellent cook and giving to a fault. You don't need to reveal every single detail of our lives to strangers. No, you may not wear your new cowboy hat in El Torito. Be a help, not a hindrance, to your teachers.  God has a plan and purpose for your life.

Things Mom showed: Treasure your elders, love your family.  Be sensitive to other people's feelings. Never be intentionally hurtful to other people. Be dependable. Small things that link us to our grandparents are worth preserving. History is fascinating, learning is fun, reading is priceless.  Your work is good enough for the Louvre, but let's put it on the fridge. It's okay to be quiet, but there are times you must speak up. Be true to yourself. Children are precious. Your potential is limitless and it's my mission to nurture it.  

Things Mom and Dad told: All we ask of you is that you do your best. 

Things Mom and Dad showed: Skin color doesn't matter, character does. Work hard for your family.  Don't be afraid to make a move to benefit your family's future. Make sure your children spend as much precious time as possible with their grandparents. Life is about experiences, not money.  Love the Lord your God and train up your children in the way they should go.  We love you and are here for you for as long as we live.

20 comments:

  1. You could have been describing MY parents, except in our house we root for the Reds. Mom was a reading teacher in an inner-city school, Dad a postal worker and handyman who could fix or build anything. They both left us way too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathy. I know lots of people can relate. I'm sorry your parents have gone, I thank God every day that I still have mine.

      Delete
  2. I am pretty choked up right now~so all I can say is "Beautiful" oh and print it out and share it with your parents. I think they would love to read it and yes, put on the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Iola. Thanks for the kind words, and they've both already read it. And for all I know, it may be on the fridge.

      Delete
  3. nice distinction between "say" and "show." I trust you enjoyed putting this down; i am writing a memoir and enjoyed the pieces about my parents.
    I am in the blog challenge as of today. Terry

    http://maroon67.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Terry. That was the thing, the most important things they taught me were the ones they simply demonstrated. Looking forward to seeing you on the Writers of Kern challenge.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like great parents to model after.

    Chontali Kirk
    chontalikirk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sure were, Chontali, and still are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jerry,

    Such a wonderful tribute to your parents. There are a lot of similarities with mine also. I did chores every Saturday, weeded the garden (and the alley because my dad told me to), and I was taught to care about other people's feelings.
    Great post.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hate to fall into the "good old days" trap, but it does seem like more of us were taught this way in the past.

      Delete
  7. What emerges from this the most is that you have wonderful parents. We all should be so lucky as to have a son or daughter write such nice words about us. Great post.

    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Silvia. I'm fascinated by how they can be so typical and so extraordinary at the same time.

      Delete
  8. Jerry, I love this post. No wonder you are the fine person you are today. Like many who commented, I can relate so well because my parents said and demonstrated similar values. I was lucky to be a kid and young adult in a time when things were less complicated in the world and we had more time with our parents. Of course, I didn't fully appreciate that until I got older and had my own children.

    Thanks for the lovely snapshot of your parents.

    xoA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Annis. You don't see me when I'm not so fine, but thank you. I am very fortunate to have had good role models.

      Delete
  9. This post makes me smile and go all teary at the same time. What a gift for your parents to know how much they're appreciated, and what a gift for you to have such loving parents to support and guide you. I love your Mom's line: "Your work is good enough for the Louvre, but let's put it on the fridge."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kern. My parents have always been so completely unselfish with my brother and I that I never get tired of letting them know how much appreciate it.

      Delete
  10. I love this post. Reminds me more of myself than my own parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Donnee. Sounds like your kids are learning some good stuff from you.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful parents who gave you strong family values. How blessed your life is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dennis, you have no idea. You'd have a better idea if I'd posted about my two daughters, but they're young, and I'm not in a hurry to share them with the world.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to see your comments, good, bad or indifferent. If you have a blog, be sure to include the address so I can visit.