Tuesday, April 2, 2013

"C" is for Change


If there's one thing most people would agree is constant in life, it's change, and that's certainly true of the things we use. The history of things is the story of how they are changed in the uneven but inexorable march of technology.

There comes a time when many of the things we use are developed to a point of seeming perfection. We don't always recognize it at the time because we're continually looking to improve and innovate, and it's only after we've innovated a thing away from a state of beauty, elegance and simplicity and toward excess weight, needless complication and superfluous ornamentation that we realize we've gone farther than we ought, or than was really necessary. Remember the lithe, elemental Datsun 240Z and its techno-luxury descendant the Nissan 300ZX?

Some things are perfected but are a technological dead-end. The Samurai's katana wasn't replaced by an improved sword; rather, the firearm rendered the whole concept obsolete.

"Don't worry, Gronk.  Chainsaw just passing fad."
Other times we think a thing has reached a state of goodness that couldn't possibly be improved upon, then, suddenly, new technology comes along and upsets the apple cart and progress begins again. Think of the mechanical wristwatch - for over three hundred years it was improved, refined, seemingly perfected, but still a mechanical watch. Then came the 1960s, and quartz movements and digital displays, and suddenly it was a whole new ballgame.

And what is perfection is seldom clear, even in hindsight. It's hard to frown about technology making watches more affordable and more accurate, yet to me, some significant things were lost: style, the work of artisans, the wondrous interplay of miniature jewels and cogs and springs, not adding electronic batteries to our landfills. The thing is, probably no two people will agree on exactly when something has been perfected or even whether it has. Fortunately, the new doesn't always supplant the old; in the case of watches, electronics peacefully coexist with mechanical escapements, and there are more choices than ever to satisfy both me and my more tech-minded counterparts.

You can probably think of your own examples. Maybe you agree with me that the bicycle reached its apogee of grace and goodness in 1986, or, like me, prefer analog watches and instruments to digital ones. Maybe you're a recurve-shooting archer who looks askance at the cams and pulleys of a compound bow. Do you think the story of the automobile is a big anticlimax after your '66 Beetle? Are you a cook that shuns microwave ovens and prepackaged meals? Are you one of those audiophiles for whom nothing can match the music from from a vinyl LP?

I'm not a Luddite or contrarian. I welcome the real progress brought by technology, but I also recognize that some good things get lost along the way and that some change is more about marketing hype or reducing manufacturing costs than about real improvement for the consumer. Five-blade razors? Really? Forty dollars for a ten-pack of refill cartridges? Are you kidding me?

What's one of your favorite objects of enthusiasm? When do you think it reached its state of perfection, or do you think the best is still yet to come? I'd love to hear from you.

 http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/

.

13 comments:

  1. My favourite object is my camera. I don't think I'll ever be entirely happy with the photos I take though. Some I quite like, other's not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cameras are a great example. Digital technology turned photography upside down and many people take pics on their phones instead of dedicated cameras. Yet some things, like interesting subject matter, good composition and proper lighting, are still as important as ever. Are you hoping for advancements that will improve your pictures, or do you just need more practice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my dad's post-WW2 made-in-the-USA Bulova watch. I love it, mostly because it was my dad's. With the advent of the cellphone, I outgrew my need for a wrist watch--though I catch myself occasionally glancing at my wrist. My DayTimer in which I kept my calendar, address book, To Do list, fuel and mileage logs have all been replaced by my iPhone. My shoulder bag is as heavy or heavier than ever. Some things don't change, Jer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, come on, Dennis. That watch is a bit of style that a cellphone can't replace. And a man is allowed to adorn himself with up to one ring (plain, no stone) and a watch without opening himself up to accusations of frou-frou-ery. If I had more space (these are too long already), I'd talk about the tradeoffs in our choices and how to figure out what's appropriate and what's just gilding the lily. Maybe in the future. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure if this is an object, but I really enjoyes the movies of days past like Singing in the Rain. I also enjoyed the creativity of movie makers before CG. Now everything is big booms and lots of computer effects. What happened to imagination and quality entertainment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, although I've been talking about things I can get my grubby little hands on, the concept certainly applies to a lot of things, anything that has been changed by progress and there's a question whether the change is all good. As far as movies, there's always good stuff out there. For me it's more about a cultural shift than a technological one.

      Delete
  6. I am a real techno geek so it is hard to choose amongst my electronics, but things in this field are progressing so rapidly that within 6 months a gadget can be outdated. Obviously, the best is yet to come if this is measured by function, reliability, portability, and price. Do you remember when a handheld calculator was an overpriced luxury? Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't have the space to touch on computers and electronics, but it's hard to imagine innovation ever stopping with them. I suppose a cabinet holding our devices may become a quaint concept once humans and computers are combined...

      Calculators? I remember when they were expensive, but not really a luxury for me, being an engineer. I still love my Hewlett Packard 41CX and 48SX, and I have a 35S in my pocket every day (love the throwback styling). RPN forever!

      Thanks for your time and kind words.

      Delete
    2. I was going to say, DL, that because we're right smack in the middle of high-tech progress and I'm not that well versed in it, I just can't get a good enough grasp on it to comment. It would be like me looking at a rock on the ground and from it trying to describe what the forest looks like.

      Delete
  7. I like this post, Jerry, and I especially like this part: "...The history of things is the story of how they are changed in the uneven but inexorable march of technology." I hadn't thought of it that way, but yes. Thank you. xoA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annis, and thanks as always for your encouragement.

      Delete
  8. The more things change,the more they stay the same...don'tcha think? It's arrogant to think that anything is an "original" design. It's just a modification, no?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Teach. I thought of that saying when I wrote this. Nothing new under the sun.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to see your comments, good, bad or indifferent. If you have a blog, be sure to include the address so I can visit.