Monday, April 1, 2013

"A" is for Amal


When trying to start on the Challenge, I noted that many bloggers are using an overall theme for the month.  For example, my friend Dana Martin, the one who tricked me into this thing, has the wonderful theme of gratitude.  At first I dismissed the theme idea out of hand; I didn't see myself coming up with twenty six blog entries on one theme.  But then I started on my first post, A is for Amal.  As in carburetor.  As in carburetors found on old Triumphs and other vintage motorcycles. That need to be “tickled” (primed, that is - the British have always had an inimitable way with words.) before operation.  That sometimes leak.  And have to be tuned properly to run their best.  Or, if you prefer, A can be for antique.  Old, imperfect, charming things.
  

Yeah, I like old stuff, for a variety of reasons.  And those reasons involve things like craftsmanship,  materials, engineering and making things.  I’m an engineer by trade, a Civil engineer to be specific, and I just love stuff.  I like materials, like metal and wood and soil, and I like the things that people make them into; machines and tools and gadgets and art and edifices.  And I quickly realized I’m not going to have a problem blogging on a topic for a month. Now, a theme isn’t going to make the challenge more difficult; it’s probably going to make it possible for me to do get through it at all.

I realized that I have thoughts on engineering and materials and machines and mechanics and processes that are not only fascinating to me, but might even be of some interest to the average person who sees these things mentioned here and there but probably doesn’t know much about them.  So, for the next month, if I pull this off, you’ll see everything from educational posts to fevered reveries on the virtues of forging.  And I'm going to learn some things too, maybe even about myself.

So, yeah, the sort-of topic that I'll sort-of stick to is Things.  What about A for Amal?  Yeah, I sort-of cheated there, but it wasn't on purpose.  You can see how one thing leads to another and how sometimes things end up going in a direction other than that intended, and that's okay.

If you're envisioning drying paint at this point, give it a try.  If you’ll stick with me, you might be surprised.  Or not; either way, please comment - I'd love to know what you think, good or bad.
Best Regards,

Jer


 http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/

.

14 comments:

  1. Jerry,
    Love the information. At the end of the month,I figure I'll know 26 more things about stuff I never knew before. For the "P" day, I think you should discuss 'paint drying'. :)
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I think I might just do that! There may be a lot more to drying paint than most people think...

      Delete
  2. I am looking forward to reading your other posts. I am sure I will learn quite a bit.
    April
    http://www.savingformyfamily.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, April and I'll be stopping by yours, too.

      Delete
  3. Love, love, love it Jer. I'm already a fan, and the tricking part comes easily to me. It's my job to trick the best writers I know into writing more often. It's what I do. Yo.

    www.danamartinwriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Fished in, hooked, landed, cleaned, filleted, fried and served with chips.

      Delete
  4. Taking a break from Between the Keys and stopping by to say hello as part of the 2013 A to Z Blogging Challenge. Great blog! I love to watch paint dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, and you may have come to the right place!

      Delete
  5. Go, Jerry! I love it already. And, I especially love how during the writing all became clear. That's what writing does.
    Looking forward to reading more from you. xoA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annis. You and Dana are certainly the most encouraging writers I know.

      Delete
  6. Jerry,

    Well, you "tickled" my fancy and primed me for exploring something new and maybe learning something along the way. Looking forward to taking the journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, well done, Dennis. Likewise. Tomorrow's post will be overly long and prosaic, but not all of them will be. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. I am looking forward to reading all your challenge. Sounds very interesting. I expect to learn lots of new stuff. I'm ready to be educated on things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Betty. I hope it will be interesting, too.

      Delete

I'd love to see your comments, good, bad or indifferent. If you have a blog, be sure to include the address so I can visit.