Friday, April 12, 2013

"K" is for Koufax


Sanford Braun "Sandy" Koufax.  Like Jackie Robinson, with whom he's tied for my all-time favorite athlete, he's far too large to capture in a blog post.  Like Robinson, he's an incredible athlete and man, and like Robinson, his life transcends the game of baseball.  Though both received their fame and recognition through baseball, neither one needed baseball to live a life of importance.

Arguably the greatest left-handed pitcher of all time, Sandy Koufax burned like a meteorite across the baseball firmament and then was gone, retiring at age 30 at the peak of his career, his elbow arthritic, his arm spent.  Early in his career, he damaged his elbow trying to throw each pitch harder than the last, before discovering that by easing up he could throw just as fast and with more control.  Early on, he was frustrated by how little the Dodgers pitched him, but once they discovered what they had, they worked him like a plow horse. The famously weak-hitting Dodgers of the early '60s depended on their pitchers for championships but, not uncommon for the times, seemed callously and myopically unconcerned with their longevity or health.  In getting out of the game "while I can still comb my hair," he avoided the temptation that so many great athletes succumb to, to play out their string for too long past their prime and decline before our eyes on the field.  He left on his terms.  The game needed the man who once famously refused to pitch a World Series game on Yom Kippur, more than he needed the game.
 
In an abbreviated eleven year career from 1955 to 1966, he amassed a record matched by few pitchers working twenty years. From 1962 to 1966 he dominated.  I'll leave it to the reader's initiative to learn about the MVP award, the Cy Young awards, the pitching Triple Crowns, strikeout record, World Series championships, and the four no-hitters (first player to reach four), including a perfect game (the eighth in baseball history).  That at his Hall of Fame induction in 1972 at age 36 he was the youngest inductee ever.  A player can be judged by what his adversaries say about him; Pittsburgh legend Willie Stargell said that hitting against Koufax was "like trying to drink coffee with a fork."  Although he tipped off his fastball and curveball to hitters by variations in his windup, Willie Mays, arguably the best all-around player ever, said "I knew every pitch he was going to throw and I still couldn't hit him."  More than once, the word "unfair" was used.

On the field he was a fierce competitor who once said that "Pitching is the art of instilling fear."  Both on and off the field, as was Robinson, he's the epitome of class and grace.  He didn't call attention to himself, argue with umpires or show up other players; one said "He'll strike you out but he won't embarrass you." Ever a man of dignity and integrity, he has never done anything in his playing days or in retirement to let down his fans or diminish his reputation. Even in a room full of politicians, scholars, celebrities and other luminaries, he's the one whose autograph everyone wants.  He's a famously private man who declines his own celebrity, which is often mistaken for reclusiveness, but he's simply cut from a different cloth from a society that is increasingly, pathologically obsessed with fame and celebrity.

After an absence of several years, Sandy was back with the Dodgers this spring training, to the delight of both fans and players.  He may refuse the mantle of hero, but he remains a hero to them all.

I highly recommend Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy by brilliant writer Jane Leavy.



14 comments:

  1. A true baseball fan here, I loved this post! I grew up hearing the name Sandy Koufax, and it was always said with that sound of reverence. You also mentioned another favorite, Willie Mays. Being a lifelong Cincinnatian, when I invoke the name of a non-Red player for praise, you know he's special. Thanks for this post.
    Kathy @ Swagger Writers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy, very glad you liked it.

      I'm also a fan who has praise for lots of players on lots of teams, including Cincinnati, like Vandermeer, Rose, Bench, Griffey. Speaking of which, our own Bakersfield Blaze is a Cincinnati affiliate, and Ken Griffey, Sr. is the manager. How about that?

      In return for your kind comments, I leave you with my favorite Pete Rose quote (from memory so maybe not perfect): "Let those other guys give 100% - they're good. Me, I have to give 110% to compete. Baseball is a hard game. Love it hard and it will love you back. Slack off for a minute and you'll find yourself on the outside wondering what the hell happened."

      Delete
  2. I got the chills and a bit teary reading this, Jer. Your dedication to him here is perfect, flawless... just like Sandy's short but meaningful indention on the game of baseball.

    I think, no.. I know... that this is my favorite blog to date. The emotion, the timing, the heart. When I posted that status update a month ago about Jarret & Sandy Koufax, I included you in it because I "seemed to remember" that you liked him. Now, after reading this, I see that you more than simply "like" him. I hope upon hope that one day you will be able to meet him, too. I fear that while impressed, the true greatness of Sandy probably escaped Jarret.

    What a great, stirring blog. Great topic. Bravo.

    Dana @ Waiter, drink please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Coach. I almost didn't get it done before work this morning. I'm glad Sunday is coming, this daily blogging schedule is catching up with me. I'm so glad you liked it.

    Thanks for the wish, too. What I want is to get Jane Leavy's book signed by her and by Sandy and a baseball signed by Sandy. I gave you a copy of it. As busy as you are, I hope you'll have time to read it someday.

    As for Jarret; ah, kids, what are you gonna do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post for K, thank you so much for stopping by my running blog and leaving me a comment...I hope you did not get the wrong idea, I come from a long line of hunters who only kill humanely and would never bait or poach an animal...I too appreciate what the animal has given...blessings and thanks for sharing!

    Shannon at I Survived and Now I Run

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, thanks for commenting. The truth is, I wasn't sure what you meant. I was was worried I might offend some of your loyal readers and hoped sharing my thoughts might dispel some myths about hunters. I'm gratified that you both knew what I meant and feel the same! Again, great post.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed this blog Jerry, and it brought back so many special memories. Two of my favorite Brooklyn Dodger fans would have loved it too. They were there when Sandy threw his first pitch in California, and never missed one of his games. If they weren't in the stands, they were listening to Vinny call it on the radio.
    They would be proud, because you have their love of baseball and for their Boys in Blue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Mom. Yep, Grandma and Grandpa would have been there on September 9, 1965 against the Cubs and heard Vin call "Sandy into his windup - there's the pitch - SWUNG ON AND MISSED, A PERFECT GAME!!!"

    Their love came through you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jerry, I remember Sandy Koufax from my youth but didn't recall the wealth of information you shared with such respect and caring. Love this true line referring to Sandy and Jackie: "Though both received their fame and recognition through baseball, neither one needed baseball to live a life of importance." A dandy post. xoA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Annis. I'm glad my regard for both men came through. What you have to say really means a lot. I have such great people taking the time to read my stuff that it really inspires me to do the best I can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this heart-felt tribute to a real hero. We need more like him.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Joan. Agreed, we do. A little less self-aggrandizement and a little more quiet dignity would not hurt the country at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a sports fan, but I remember Sandy Koufax. Brings back fond childhood memories. That was back in the days when we listened to baseball games on the radio. My dad had a transistor radio and didn't miss a single pitch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like to listen to Dodger games on my transistor radio. My grandfather and grandmother lived in Wasco and were Brooklyn and then LA fans. They died 40 and 30 years ago, respectively. Listening to Vin Scully call Dodger games is something they did, so when I do it, I feel like it's a little link to them, that it's paying respects to them. I don't think I'd be half the fan I am if it weren't for them.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to see your comments, good, bad or indifferent. If you have a blog, be sure to include the address so I can visit.